Sunday, September 7, 2014

Keloids




So just recently as in this last week I have had some scar tissue appear on my index finger of my left hand. At first I though nothing of it and picked at tit which did not make it go away. Since then I have had my eye on it and have not seen it change much for better or for worse and I am pretty sure it might be a keloid. 

A keloid according to medline plus is "...a growth of extra scar tissue where the skin has healed after an injury." The first time I heard of keloids was in my undergrad where a professor who was a physician assistant still in practice mention them how they are technically harmless but have no official way to be treated or removed and if agitated can worsen. In short they are a more cosmetic issue but can be sensitive and painful to some people.

I am not sure why mine has formed but I do wonder how come this is at least in my mind a poorly understood topic in the medical world.

No comments:

Post a Comment